Monday, November 23, 2009

Tofurky: The Reason I am Morally Opposed to Vegans

I keep running across articles and discussions about Tofurky and the "curse" of being a vegetarian/vegan on Thanksgiving.

I am not vegetarian or vegan. I do, however, limit my meat intake to one meal a day. On top of that, I also try to live by a rule that I don't eat multiple kinds of animals within a day (though, eggs and bacon 1 or 2 times a week kills this). I watch what I eat and I regularly go to the gym.

I once heard a veggie person tell me, "Humans weren't meant to eat meat." I was dumbfounded. Usually, when I hear something stupid like this, I snap back with something. But this, this was probably the dumbest thing I had ever heard, and the audacity of the for sure manner in which it was said strangled my brain. This absurd statement always comes to me from the back of my mind whenever I hear anything about vegetarians.

Meat is what made us human. Biological anthropologists tell us that eating meat allowed our brains to grow. Furthermore, the hunting and butchering of animals continually reinforced our unique ability to develop tools.

When you give up meat, you are not only giving up the precious proteins and fats your body and brain need, you are forsaking the hardships and the knowledge of your ancestors. When you are at the Thanksgiving table with your arms crossed and you refuse a helping of turkey from your grandmother's outstretched hand, you are not giving thanks. You are selfish, and you are standing alone in your self-righteousness. You are a douche bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment